What is a Christian?
A Christian is a person who loves, worships and obeys Jesus Christ as King of all creation.
A Christian is a person who
- has voluntarily stopped rebelling against King Jesus, recognising that God is offering complete forgiveness to rebels.
- has surrendered their whole way of life to King Jesus.
- is learning from King Jesus, through the Bible, the desires, attitudes, speech and behaviours that please God.
- has eternal hope in Jesus’ resurrection, which guarantees our bodily resurrection and the renewal of the whole creation.
A PRAYER FOR REBELS WHO WANT A FRESH START
The following prayer is not about securing a ‘ticket to heaven’, but is a tool to help you begin a conversation with God that can continue every day until you see him face to face.
God, I recognise this is your world and you have made Jesus Christ the King of it and therefore Jesus has the right to rule my life.
I confess I am rebellious against Jesus’ right to control my life and as His enemy I deserve eternal death.
God, right now I surrender completely to Jesus. I give up my life as a rebel and put my trust in your offer of forgiveness.
God, right now I submit my whole way of life to King Jesus and ask you to make this obvious by changing my desires, attitudes, speech and behaviours to be Jesus-like.
Holy Spirit of God, please come and fill me and empower me to live a life like Jesus.
God, please give me the promised inheritance of eternal life and hope in Jesus’ resurrection.
I WANT TO FOLLOW JESUS. WHAT DO I DO NOW?
- Speak out the prayer for rebels above
- Participate in a Christian Community/Church
- Read the Bible daily – it is God’s Story
- Start talking to God everyday
- Ask another Christian to help you
- Check out the Resources tab on this website
- Don’t give up
LISTEN TO THE TEACHING
You can download the mp3 of this talk from Wayne Hollett here:
'What is a Christian - Dec 9, 2012.'